The Alumni society of Upton Court Grammar School held its annual reunion on Saturday 15 March in the school’s new state-of-the-art Sixth Form Centre.
Former staff and students of the school enjoyed a day of celebrations and reminiscing accompanied by the current Principal and members of the sixth form, including the Head Boy and Head Girl. Commemorative items were displayed, alongside photographs depicting members of the school dating back several decades.
The society, named the Old Paludians Association, came into existence in 1915 under the auspices of the first Headmaster of the school, Mr W. Francis Smith (1912 – 1925). It has remained in existence throughout the school’s century of existence under various names, including Slough Secondary School (1912 – 1936) and Slough Grammar School (1993 – 2013).
The Association supports the school in many ways, including an annual donation of £1000 towards the school library which funds the purchase of a number of titles benefitting students immensely.
Upton Court Grammar School Principal, Mercedes Hernandez Estrada, said "The reunion is a fantastic opportunity to share with the Old Paludians the outstanding results of the students at the school. They were also very impressed to hear about the Upton Court Educational Trust and its work to support Foxborough school as it clearly shows how committed the school is to improve educational standards in the local area.”
All former students and staff of the school are invited to join the Old Paludians Association and attend the Centenary Reunion in 2015 – visit www.oldpaludians.org.uk for more information.
Photograph attached, former students of the school
Back L to R : Janet Quinton, Lynne Willis, Jackie Dibling and Mary Ridlar
Front L to R : Pat Oldcorn, Avril Sutton, Jackie Dibling and Betty Lambourne.